Monday 14 November 2011

Abandoned Projects

Several months ago I decided that I was going to stop customising Vinyl Toys. I had some success in getting my customised toys in galleries. As a replacement for this I thought about creating a different kind of toy – a Flat Pack Toy.
Basically a cut out and keep toy that people can print off. I designed the toy and sketched it up in Adobe Illustrator. I printed off the design on glossy paper and then cut it out and stuck it together. And it looks crap. So the whole thing doesn’t go to waste I thought I’d post it up here. I’m definitely not doing another one.

However this project got me thinking about other projects I’ve done and what value they have. This blog in general is a project. My approach to it has been not to give a commentary or an opinion but just post up work. The only exception was when I gave my opinion on the Dare to Be Digital video game design competition thing I did a few years ago.

I think I’m going to change the approach of this blog a bit and talk about what I’m up to. For example just last week I attended a few events in the Neon Digital Arts festival in Dundee. In the future if I attend an event like this I’ll post up photos and give a bit commentary. I’ll also do a bit more to promote this blog. The main reason is to promote my work a bit more but also so I don’t go around abandoning projects again – even if they do look crap.

Next week I’ll post up about the projects I’m working on at the moment and give my opinion on how they are going. I’ve pretty much got 3 things which I working on. One is learning After Effects animation, the other is a webcomic which I am currently writing (and struggling to find a collaborator on) and the final project involves photography. This will entail starting another blog on the side, but more on this soon.

Anyway enjoy the flat pack toy photos and print off sheet below.




No comments:

Post a Comment